Friday, January 20, 2006

Sigh, Sorry Dad, I let you down (October 21, 1998)

Promises made when leaving California, that Jolee would not obtain a New York ac
nt, appear to have been in vain.

Last night, Jolee was playing with a Hot Wheels car she got as a party favor at
ycare. She referred to it as a "core" a la Brooklyn. Despite my efforts to get
herto pronounce it "kahr", she persisted playing with her "core".

Melanie replied:

Wait a minute.
Most children, I have found, do not speak perfect english right away,
and say "core" instead of "Kahr" whether they live in the heart of
Brooklyn or not. Since Bill always says "kahr" and I do as well when
thinking before speaking and can therefore control the accent, I would
like to believe that the local cashiers et al that Jolee comes into
contact with will not leave her sounding like Vinnie Babarino.
I would also like to go on the record (before any accusations are
made) that it was I that noticed her accent and attempted to fix it
right away.
Melanie

P.S. Bill neglected to mention that Jolee started saying "I ov u" (I
love you) last night over and over again. And yes, she was saying it
to each of us and not Goblin the cat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home