Friday, January 20, 2006

In the Pink (January 1999)

On Saturday, we had a visit from friend Stacey, of Houston, Texas. She came out and had some authentic Brooklyn pizza and spent the night. Jolee referred to her, not as Stacey, perhaps due to confusion of our landlord being named Stacey as well, but as "That One". For example, at the drug store, Jolee asks Mommy, "Mommy, where is Daddy and That One?" When trying to explain where Stacey lived, I showed her a map from Melanie's office, pointing to Texas and saying this is where Stacey lives, and here (pointing to New York) is where we live.
 
The next day, as Stacey was preparing to leave, Jolee asked where she is going. Melanie explained that Stacey was going to get on a plane and fly home. "Yeah," Jolee said, "She go to the pink."
What? "Go to the pink! The pink!" Stacey and Melanie didn't understand, until I, came out from the back of the apartment and said, "I think I know what she means."
 
I went to the office and pulled out the map that I had showed Jolee the night before and held it up. Melanie had highlighted Texas and the surrounding region pink. "See," I said, "Texas is pink." Jolee was right. Stacey was going to the Pink. We had a fun time with her out here in Yellow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home